Re: /etc/init.d/boot message?

tko@westgac3.dragon.com wrote:

> Ulisses Alonso Camaro writes:
> > On Tue, 23 Jun 1998, Lindsay Allen wrote:
> >

> > > As the data is available (via Shift-Pageup) then there surely must be a
> > > way of getting to it and saving it.  I tried with /dev/vcs* but got only
> > > the current screen.  Maybe in /proc/??? somewhere?  A Linux guru is
> > > needed.
> > >
> > > Then we could have a script run as the final boot-up process to save it to
> > > a file.
> >
> > I don't know how to do it, but In HPUX 10 the bootup process output is
> > saved and rotated in separate files... I think I would be cool to make
> > something similar...
> >
> > Maybe copy /dev/vc* contents is not a good idea cause (I think so) is
> > limited to video memory
>
> The information has to be stored somewhere. Otherwise, the shift-pageup could
> not work. Just a matter of chasing down what memory buffer holds it and saving
> it out to a file.

	The info is in the video frame buffer.  The kernel allows the entire frame
buffer to be used; the screen becomes a window onto that frame buffer
(movable via Shift-PgDn/Up).  The problem is that memory isn't reachable by
any other means (I don't think) other than the kernel itself, so there has
to be a another way of duplicating that info somewhere else.  This is
compounded by the problem that the messages are coming from the kernel and
from different modules as they are loaded.  All these processes would have
to agree to a way of saving their output.  Any kernel gurus out there?

--
Ed