problems with dselect/dpkg

hello fellow linux users,

Im having a problem with the installation of debian.  This is my first
install of debian, though I have installed/used slackware for a little
while.  I have gotten through everything with no problems untill I hit
deselect.  I believe I managed to get many of the packages installed by
running the install about four or five times to get rid of some of the
conflicts, but then I hit a wall.  the error message reads as

dpkg: parse error, in file `/var/lib/dpkg/updates/0020' near line 1:
newline in field name `#padding'

checking the file I see it is made up of a bunch of #padding

rerunning deselect I manage to obtain the files but after clearing the old
packages I get the same error

as well as

error at /usr/lib/dpkg/methods/ftp/update line 142, <STDIN> chunk 1.
dpkg --forget-old-unavail failed
update avaliable list script returned error exit status 9.
Press Retun to continue

of course I press it and am stuck again.  Any help concerning what I
should do would be very apprichiated.  Thanks

--hrdluk