Re: user can delete kernel images (cont)

Hi,
>>"G" == G Kapetanios <gk205@cus.cam.ac.uk> writes:

 G> So obviously although I hadn;t realised that before if a group you
 G> belong to owns a directory which is writable by the group you can
 G> delete stuff from it without owning the files and without
 G> belonging to the group which owns the files. Is this safe ??

	Safe or not, it is UNIX ;-). Deleting a file is not actually
 modifying the file, you are really modifying the directory the files
 reside in. So, if you have write permissions to a directory, you may
 delete any other file that is in there, as you observed. This can't
 really be changed (this is the way things have behaved since the
 beginning of the epoch).

	manoj

--
 A good awakening have ever Gotama's disciples, whose recollection is
 always established, day and night on the body. 299