Re: /etc/init.d/boot message?

On Fri, 19 Jun 1998, Ed Cogburn wrote:

> David Wright wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 19 Jun 1998, Mark Yobb wrote:
> > >
> > >         I know how to use `dmesg` but I would really like to be able to get
> > > the info that scrolls across my screen (on bootup) when /etc/init.d/boot is
> > > executing.  Is this message sent to a log file or something?  How can I look
> > > at this after booting?
> >
> > Simple. Just use shift page up and down. This works at any time, just so
> > long as you don't switch consoles.
>
> 	Parts of the boot up text can be found afterwords in /var/log/messages.

Yes, while I agree that parts of the boot up messages can be found in various
places in a more permanent form, the only place that has them /all/ in the
exact /sequence/ is the console. If something goes wrong, it's worth looking
here /first/ because it's the last chance you get. As soon as you look
elsewhere, the complete console record has gone for ever (until you reboot).

Cheers,