SOLVED: palmpilot III and thinkpad 760xl

so my thanks to Maitland and SEGV. I appreciate your response but my
problem turned out to be something else. It turns out all I had to do was
read the README file provided by 3com.

apparently in thinkpads the serial port is turned _off_ by default so that
you can use the infra-red port (and I'm telling you, I use that infra-red
all the time :-) ) So I had to reboot into NT and use the IBM thinkpad
features to turn off the infra-red and turn on the serial port. now
everything works fine. I'm sure there is a way to do this in linux I just
dont know how. probably a HOW-TO somewhere.

I really should just calm down and read the documentation once and a
while. make my life sooo much easier.

	- John Kloss