Re: Strange problem with ppp server --MKP

>Mike Patterson writes:
>> He dials in, and pap is authenticated. Great! First problem, though, is that

>> no entries get created via route and ifconfig, so he gets stuck.
>
>You need to give pppd local and remote ip numbers, like this:
>192.168.0.1:192.168.0.23

I did that in my last attempt. I put it in /etc/ppp/options.

>> So I manually put entires in right after he logs in like so:
>
>> ifconfig ppp0 192.168.0.23 netmask 255.255.255.255 up
>> route add 192.168.0.23 ppp0
>
>> The strangest thing is when I try telnetting to his machine, it connects to
>> the server! (I.E. the server is 192.168.0.1. telnet 192.168.0.23 just loops
>> back to it)
>
>Well, sure.  pppd has already assigned 192.168.0.1 to the "server" end of the
>link; now you are assigning 192.168.0.23 to it.  Once up, a ppp link looks to
>the kernel just like a two-host ethernet.  ppp0 is the server's interface to
>this two-host network.  ifconfig operates on it, not the other end.  You can't
>ifconfig another host's interface.

I figured this out eventually, but I still haven't figured out what it should
be... And I assume pppd should be doing it for me.

/etc/ppp/options:

asyncmap 0
proxyarp
lock
crtscts
modem
defaultroute
192.168.0.1:192.168.0.23
dns-addr 192.168.0.1

/etc/mgetty/login.config:

/AutoPPP/ -     ppp     /usr/sbin/pppd auth -chap +pap login modem crtscts lock -vj proxyarp

/etc/mgetty/mgetty.config:

port ttyS2
  data-only y
  init-chat "" at&c1&d2 OK