Re: package installs

Yo-

> I have downloaded from an FTP site, a couple of .deb files that i want to
> install on my
> debian package.  when i use the dpackage command, and i advise that i have
> these files on floppy discs, it finds my .deb files and has them as
> dselected, therefore it will not install them.  this appears to be because
> they are not on the default list of packages that were installed with my
> debian package,  I have ordered the CD rom for debian, which should have all
> the .deb packages on it, but i am not sure i can get my CD-rob to be read by
> debian.  I would like to first install the packages from floppy if i can get
> it to let me.
> Does anyone have any suggestions?
If you have the .deb packages on a floppy all you need to do is mount the
floppy drive (mount /dev/fd0 /floppy) and then run:
 "dpkg -i packagename.deb".  No need to run "dselect"

When you get your CD you can run dselect and tell it that you wish to
install from a CD.  Dselect will most likely ask for the directories of
the files you wish to install but after that you should be able to use
dselect as usual.

> Also i have a barebones debian package right now (with just basic debian and
> linux stuff), and i am an avid AIX user.  I noticed alot of commands are the
> same and alot are different.  For instance on AIX, i can scroll a list of
> files in a directory by typing
> ls -l | pg  (the one page at a time command)...how can i get accomplish this
> on linux?
You can pipe your "ls -l" through "more".  (ls -l | more)

> is there somewhere i can get a quick reference of linux commands??
Their are several O'Reilly "Nutshell" books on linux which may be useful
to you.  Otherwise I'd just peruse the numerous "Linux Documentation
Project (LDP)" websites.

-Ian