package download problem - all downloaded packages currupt

I treid to lode some packages from the debian home page and from a
mirror. On all the package from both servers i got a message that they
where currupt and it looks like they where downloaded as ascii.
I've downloaded packages before on this computer and they worked fine.
The difference is that usually i download them to disk and the i take
them on diskets home, put them on the dos partition there on install
them from there.
Now i brought the hard disk from my computer here. first i down loaded
the files on a w95 machine (i don't have dial up running on linux yet)
to the second hardisk on the system (configures as a second master on
a pentium) and then changed the first disk which holds the w95 system
with the disk i brought with me holding linux. I then mounted the
second hardisk and tried to install the packages but got the error
message.
when i mounted the disk i got an error message sayeing the linux
couldn't load character translation or something like that (forgot to
write it down, sorry) (it said that also when i tried to mount dos
partition on the same disk.
i also tried to copy the files under dos to the disk holding linux but
i still got a message that the files are currupt.
The computer I'm trying this on is a pentium with both disks intalled
as masters (first and second master)
the computer i got the hardisk from and on which it ususaly runs is a
486.
Thanx