palmpilot III and ibm thinkpad 760xl

so my parents gave me a palmpilot III for my birthday (which was nice).
However, I can't get it to work with my thinkpad.

here's what I have

	debian 1.3.1
	pilot-link 8.9
	& a palmpilot III

here's what I did

	compiled pilot-link 8.9, no real problems
	installed pilot-link stuff, no real problems
	tried to get it to communicate with my palmpilot via

	pilot-xfer /dev/ttyS0 -l

with no luck, palmpilot can't find my computer. But this is not a surprise
really because gpm is using /dev/ttyS0. so I mv'd the gpm script in
/etc/init.d/ to gpm.bak and ran update-rc.d gpm remove and rebooted.
0setserial configured /dev/ttyS0 to the following

	uart 16550A port 0x03f8 irq 4

which is what the thinkpad documentation says is one of the possible
resource defaults for the serial port. still no go _and_ my xserver starts
going weird (race conditions or something causing it to die) and my pcmcia
cardmanager fails to correctly set up the serial connection for my modem
card. so bag that and reinstall gpm and everything is okay. I don't know
why my system seems dependent on gpm; I've never used it (and I thought
that I read in this list that it wasn't really necessary).

so I tried using /dev/ttyS1 but my modem is using that one out, so I pop
my modem out and thought that would release the serial connection, but no
pilot-xfer says it can't make a connection to port ttyS1.

specifically it says

	unable to bind to port '/dev/ttyS1'

so I tried doing setserial

	setserial /dev/ttyS2 uart 16550A irq 4 port 0x03e8
	setserial /dev/ttyS3 uart 16550A irq 3 port 0x02e8

but setserial won't actually set the serial connections (yes, I ran the
command as root). so why is that and where do I go from here? And in
either case, same response from pilot-xfer.

so the specks for the serial port in the back of the thinkpad are

	irq 4	port 0x03f8
	    3        0x02f8
	    4        0x03e8
            3        0x02e8

the standard com 1-4 stuff.

I'd really like to use this pda with linux so any help would be greatly
appreciated. And if it will make anyone smile, I couldn't get the damn
thing to work with NT either-- consistent, supported platform, my ass.

	- John Kloss