Re: The juggernaught expands?

On Thu, 18 Jun 1998 sjc@delphi.com wrote:

> Oh gee just what we need. I will admit, I could use a good word processor
> LIKE Word...but please NOT word!

The lack of Wod for Linux is a great hinderance to the acceptance of Linux
on the corporate Desktop.  Sure, you can show then Applix and show them
how they can make a document that is word compatable but they are going to
brush you off and get back to work because they do not have time to go
through a bunch of gyrations in order to be word compatable when they can
just use word.

Microsoft applications provide just about what is needed from Joe Sixpack
on his desktop at work. Joe is not a computer weenie, Joe is a parts buyer
or a facillities engineer or something else and does not want to have to
waste an extra five minutes of time fooling with the computer.

If Microsoft applications for Linux hit the market, Linux would absolutely
take off.

> I mean really...its a word processor...nice to have but...come on...
> they can't even keep it compatible with older versions of itself!
> and just think of all the benefits of having word... Word Macro Viruses,
> a completely asinine file format.

Much of this would go away if it was ported to Linux.  A user could only
contaminate his own files. As for macro viruses, the same is possible with
emacs documents.

> (I believe I told the story on this list before of when I was called to
> look at a MS Word file that was corrupt when a grant was pending at
> the hospital)
>
> > The only way IE gets users is by forcing the browers down their throats
> > like Mac and Win do. Given an equal choice, 85% choose Netscape and 15%
> > choose Exploder.
> >

> Definitly. And lucky for us...it will be impossible for Uncle Bill to force
> Linux users to install IE. Oh and another great "Feature" that comes with IE
> ActiveX.
>

> > Microsoft! Which end of the stick do you want today?
>
> Exactly! And thats exactly why I wont use their products, even if they come
> out for linux. I mean I understand that they are a buisness and it is their
> job to make money...not to make people happy.
>
> What they do is "good buisness" in the most pure sense but...there are limits
> They take "good buisness" to the most apauling level...I personally
> find it disgusting.
>
> They will not see a dime from my wallet as long as I can help it.
>
> -Steve
>

> --

George Bonser

Microsoft! Which end of the stick do you want today?