Re: Can't get X to Run, Please help!

David Miner <dminer@secor.com> writes:

> I recently installed DEBIAN Linux and downloaded some packages.
> My problem is when I try to start X it wont start and I get this message
> back.
>
> Fatal server error:
> No valid modes found.
> _X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
> giving up.
> xinit:  Connection refused (errno 111): unable to connect to xserver
> xinit:  No such process (errno 3): server error.
>
> I'm running the "SVGA" server and ran XF86Setup as "root".  I also had to
> edit
> /etc/X11/Xserver  because it originally had "None" for the server
>
> The contents of /etc/X11/Xserver are
>  /usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_SVGA
>  Console
>  << EOF >>

Check the settings of your Monitor in XF86Setup. X checks all modes it
is able to start wether it would harm your monitor. If a mode exceeds
the limits of your monitor set by XF86Setup, it discards the mode. You
may end with "no valid modes". If you scroll back with <Shift>+<Pg UP>
(if it is possible), you might see why the modes are discarded.

Choose 8bpp for a starting point (you can always change that later).

HTH,

Jens
---
Jens.Ritter@weh.rwth-aachen.de   grimaldi@debian.org
Key ID: 2048/E451C639 Jens Ritter
Key fingerprint: 5F 3D 43 1E 24 1E CC 48  1E 05 93 3A A7 10 73 37