Re: how to make an intermediate machine receive mail while the destination is down?

On Thu, 18 Jun 1998, Daniel Martin at cush wrote:

[ snip ]

: something to hold the mail - if the sites sending the mail can't get
: through to your mail server, they'll just hold it until they can get
: through.  Typically, what will happen is that people trying to send
: mail to your site will only even notice that something's odd if your
: server is down for three days (in that case, the person who sent the
: mail will get something from their mail server saying "This message
: has been undeliverable for 3 days; we'll keep trying for another 9
: days"), and all the mail will get through if your main server is down
: for less than twelve.

While I agree that it shouldn't be a big deal for a mailhost to be down
a few days, I feel obligated to point out that sendmail at any rate
defaults to 5 day timeouts for undeliverables.  I see very few machines
in this part of the world which queue mail for much longer than that.

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet - 410 South Phillips Avenue - Sioux Falls, SD  57104