problems with X11 in hamm

Dear Debian users,

I got my ppp link to my ISP up and working today thanks to the help of
Roberto Ruiz and some other helpful people on the user list.  I finally
(ugh) downloaded the packages which I wanted (with my 14.4Kbps modem)and
installed them (my ISP kicks me off after 6 hrs. so it took two tries).  I
downloaded the files for X Window, installed them, and it automatically ran
the text baised set-up program, I tried using it, but it didn't work.  I
then remembered XF86Setup was a graphical set-up utility and it worked.
When it automatically tried the server it worked. It then automatically
quit after saving the files and I typed startx and recieved:

x: exec of /usr/bin/X11/XF86_NONE failed

_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2
_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2
_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2
_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2
_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2
_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2

giving up

what happened?  It ran fine when it did the initial test.  Thanks in
advance for any help you can give me.

Mark Panzer