Re: Please clarify...

On Tue, Jun 16, 1998 at 10:20:02AM -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Jun 1998 19:07:27 +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
>
> >there are two cases where an upgrade can fail:
>
>     A monty Python fan there, eh?

I study mathematics --- I can neither count nor calculate :)

> >1) You waited to long. It may be hard to upgrade a rexx system (although
> >2) You changed the system in places unknown to dpkg. I'm not sure how much
> >3) A bug in either a package or dpkg. Please report the bug, we'll try to
>
>     ;)
>
> >Please don't spread FUD about it.
>
>     I love that term, FUD.  It implies an untruth.  It is true that people
> have complained about a bo->hamm upgade on this list.

But you draw the wrong conclusions. I already told you that hamm is not
released. If there are many severe problems with the upgrade from category
three above *after* we release hamm, I'm happy to agree with you.

>     Here is another truth.  I've got directories and files that were not
> removed when a package was purged.

Those are bugs, please report them (please don't report when directories are
left --- this bug is known and reported multiple times. It is so old, you
can almost call it a feature :)

> Easiest way to reclaim all this space,
> aside from a few hours of searching the entire HD is to take about an hour to
> just wipe the main static portions while leaving the dynamic portions alone.

There is the package "cruft" in slink, which will compare dpkg's databases
with the installed files and print the differences (taking a lot of further
input into account).

> >hamm manually, not only recently but also in earlier states of hamm. The
> >success varied, but made me optimistic that mostly all users can upgrade
> >easily (either using autoup.sh or apt) to hamm *without* reinstall.
>
>     This goes against this:
>
> >Yes, but *there is no need for a re-install*! Debian has a great and
> >superior upgrading mechanism, and your system will update cleanly through
> >every version, even major version changes.
>
>     "The success varied" and "that mostly all users can upgrade easily...to
> hamm *without* reinstall" also states that there were failures and that there
> will be users who cannot uprgrade w/o a reinstall.

Those are two different things. Please read again my note about "hamm is not
released yet". But read also below about exceptions.

> "There is no need for a
> re-install" is an aboslute.  In your own words you have conceeded there will
> be cases that there will be a need for a reinstall.

Oh well, write it on a poster and stick it on a wall: I made a too extreme
statement. For the record:

"There are cases were a reinstall is better than an update. If this is the
result of a problem in the Debian distribution, please report it as a bug."

Satisfied?

In my opinion, a few directories left over do not warrant a reinstall. YMMV.

> >BTW: You also want to keep /usr/local, /home and parts of /var.
>
>     People generally seperate those out from / while /etc is not.  I did
> state that one would be replacing the "Static" portions of the OS.
> /usr/local, /home, /var, /tmp are rarely static.

Ok.

Marcus