Re: gcc can't compile, egcc can!??

On 14 Jun, Zack Weinberg wrote:

> One thing that bothers me is that your kernel compile was affected.
> The kernel shouldn't use anything from libc.  If the kernel boots it's
> fine, but there might be something strange going on there.

It was failing on the compile of the [x/menu]config generation and on
the post sound config portion.  I could do a make config but then it
would fail on the post config compiles that it does for the sound.

> Also I wonder what libm is doing in /lib.  That's probably legitimate,
> but I'd think nothing needs it before /usr is mounted.

% dpkg -S libm.so
libc6-dev: /usr/lib/libm.so
libc5: /lib/libm.so.5
libc6: /lib/libm.so.6
libc5: /lib/libm.so.5.0.9

/usr/lib/libm.so -> /lib/libm.so.6

FWIW, from dpkg -l

ii  libc5           5.4.38-1.1     The Linux C library version 5 (run-time libr
ii  libc6           2.0.7pre3-1    The GNU C library version 2 (run-time files)
ii  libc6-dev       2.0.7pre3-1    The GNU C library version 2 (development fil

Thanks again for all your help.

Brian