Subject: Re: HELP: w/ grep on a log file.
Author:  jhspies(p)Johann(a)alpha.futurenet.co.za at INTERNET
Date:    6/13/98 4:50 AM

Sorry if this bores you, but I have never used sed before and after
reading this discussion I checked the man page for sed.
What I would like to know is the following:
On Fri, 12 Jun 1998, Steve Mayer wrote:
>   Try grep "`date \"+ %a %b %d\" | sed 's/ //'`" arch.log
              ^                                 ^
> dave oswald wrote:
> > grep echo  \"`date "+ %a %b %d" | sed 's/ //'`\" arch.log
                 ^                               ^
What is the meaning of the ` before date and after //'?
What was wrong with dave oswald's effort?
Why wouldn't
grep \"`date "+ %a %b %d" | sed 's/ //'`\" arch.log
| Johann Spies                                 Windsorlaan 19              |
| jhspies@alpha.futurenet.co.za                3201 Pietermaritzburg       |
| Tel/Faks Nr. +27 331-46-1310                 Suid-Afrika (South Africa)  |
     "Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye
      do, do all to the glory of God."
                                  I Corinthians 10:31