Re: Install problem

On Mon, 15 Jun 1998, M.C. Vernon wrote:

[ snip ]

: >  Sounds like that disk 5 was bad.  Use another disk and rebuild (rawrite2)
: > disk 5 and try the install from the beginning.  As the docs say, most
: > install problems stem from bad disks.
:
: Hmm - I found this as well - a friend made the various floppies with
: rawrite2 and started installing. I had to nip up to my room and dd three
: of them again; is this perhaps a W95 <spit> problem (not detecting the
: problem)?

I have found that since disk 5 does not fill the entire disk I need to
FAT format the floppy before rawriting to it.  I've never had disk 5
fail when I've formatted it beforehand (and thrown away crappy disks :)
but I have seen the problem a few times when I've been in a hurry and
haven't put down a fresh filesystem first.

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet - 410 South Phillips Avenue - Sioux Falls, SD  57104