Re: Install problem

On Sun, 14 Jun 1998, Ed Cogburn wrote:

> Shanta McBain wrote:
> >
> > Hi all
> >
> > Here is the problem I have been trying to install Debian from a set of
> > floppies. Things go well until disk 5 is done and it try's to decompress
> > the final file for install. It gives and error that it cant install the
> > file and goes to the next step. I then reboot the system.  It will go
> > through a hole series of incremental segmentation faults to 33 ending
> > with
> > /etc/fstab: no such file or dir.
> > fsck failed Please repair manually
> >
> > Control-d will exit   this shell and continue system start up
> >
> > give root password for maintenance (or type  control-d for normal
> > startup):
> >
> > Control-d takes one back to the same point.
> >
> > Password
> >
> > rm: /root.bush_profile: Read-only file system
> > mv: replace '/root/.bush_profile' , overriding mode 0755?
> > y takes one
> >
> > asks to change password
> >
> > cannot lock the password file; try again later
> > passwrd[47]: can't lock password file.
> >
> > locked into change password
> >
> > What now?????
> >
> > I have tried fdisking the disk but it will not remove the partions. to
> > start again.
> > drive has dos and extended dos (Linux). What is worng here?
> >
> > Thanks for your time
> > Shanta
> >

>  Sounds like that disk 5 was bad.  Use another disk and rebuild (rawrite2)
> disk 5 and try the install from the beginning.  As the docs say, most
> install problems stem from bad disks.

Hmm - I found this as well - a friend made the various floppies with
rawrite2 and started installing. I had to nip up to my room and dd three
of them again; is this perhaps a W95 <spit> problem (not detecting the
problem)?

Matthew

--
Elen sila lumenn' omentielvo

Steward-elect of the Cambridge Tolkien Society
Selwyn College Computer Support
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Chamber/8841/
http://www.cam.ac.uk/CambUniv/Societies/tolkien/
http://pick.sel.cam.ac.uk/