Re: perl broken install (bo)

On 06/15/98 at 10:18 AM, Hamish Moffatt <hamish@debian.org> said:

>On Sun, Jun 14, 1998 at 03:48:25PM +0200, Marco Frattola wrote: >
>installing bo on a rex machine left me with this problem: perl won't
>install, > saying that "subprocess post install script returned error
>123" or something > like this. What's error 123 and how can I fix it?
>without perl, other packages > are left uninstallable.

>I've seen this happen in a buzz -> hamm upgrade too. You will have to
>look through the postinst for perl and find out where it's dying.

>"rm /var/lib/dpkg/info/perl.postinst" is always a possibility, although
>not advised..

>Hamish

FWIW, I've been swapping drives/motherboards/cards around for the last
few weeks.  I've installed RedHat 5.0(makes getting X running easy,
otherwise it is just two hands offish) once and Debian 1.3 3 or 4 times.
The last one gave me that same error.  To get perl installed I jumped
through several hoops.

via dselect
1) uninstall everything related to, dependent on, or suggested by
perl(including the broken perl). 2) update
3) install perl
4) install everything else.

So far everything works.

George