XFree86 problems

I have been having problems with X, the last time I installed Linux, I
installed the XFree86 packages that as far as I can see are required to
run X (the Standard Fonts, FVWM, the svga server, and what ever eles
dselect told me I needed), but after runinng XFree86Config, when it goes
to graphic mode, my screen goes crazy, it has many moving, blue lines,
and it even messes up the other terminals.  Should I fire up dselect and
try to get a new (if ther is one) copy of XFree86, and if so what should
I get?  Or use what I have and find out it was some stupid little thing I
for got/did not see?

HW:
Oak Tech SVGA card
AST SVGA monitor