Re: Mirroring hamm for install...

sjc@delphi.com (sjc@delphi.com):
> On Thu, Jun 11, 1998 at 11:46:40PM -0500, mike@ctelcom.net wrote:
> > wget --mirror ftp://ftp.debian.org/pub/debian/hamm -a /root/wget.log -X \
> >      "*-alpha*,*-m68k*,*-powerpc*,*-sparc*,*source*"
>
> You know...I read this and thought ti was a great idea...I had been going and
> ftp'ing in by hand and asking for binary-i386.tar.gz every time I wanted to
> burn a CD..then have to unpack etc... PITA
>
> I tried this with wget...it wont work. According tot ht elogs it logs on and
> says that "hamm is not a plain file" and gives up...I have tried many
> variations including typed exactly as you gave it.

Hrm...well I get an error as well in several directories complaining about
a file named "hamm". But in my situation it continues with the download. FWIW,
I'm running it from a shell script. Shouldn't make any difference tho.
Here's a sample log snippet:

--05:20:35--  ftp://ftp.debian.org:21/%2Fpub/debian/hamm/non-free/binary-i386/sh
ells/hamm
           => `ftp.debian.org/pub/debian/hamm/contrib/binary-all/base/hamm'
==> CWD not required.
==> PORT ... done.    ==> RETR hamm ...
No such file `hamm'.

I have no idea where it is getting "hamm". It's not on the server in either of
the directories indicated. I'm running version 1.5 of wget btw.

I already had one response which suggested using mirror. I'm looking into that
now. But will mirror handle my periodically broken connection to the net as
well as wget does? Like waiting for the connection to reconnect and then
continue the download? Very handy for dial-ups.

> >     Is that the correct way to handle things? Or is there a better method
> >     until hamm goes stable?
>
> does it work and install? then it is correct :)

heh. and it works good too.

> >   c. Each time I install packages through dselect, it must go through every
> >      file in the archive and "decide" whether to install it or not. Is there
> >      a way I can tell dselect to only try to install the files I selected,
> >      rather than stepping through the whole tree?
>
> Well that is dselect :) thats how it works
>
> -Steve

Turns out if I run with the packages as "mountable" it isn't supposed to do
that. I was running it as "already mounted". Well, time to RTM anyway. ;)

I was also recommended to trying APT. I kinda like dselect. It's a real
nifty program. Guess I'll do both in a minute.

Install # 4 of debian about to begin...hehe this is fun.

Now to set mutt to reply to all addresses instead of only the sender....

--
|- Mike Brownlow ----- <mike@ctelcom.net> ----- http://ctelcom.net/mike/ ----|
|- Prov. 16:9 "A man's heart deviseth his way:   -- Use Linux to learn, -----|