Re: Mirroring hamm for install...

On Thu, Jun 11, 1998 at 11:46:40PM -0500, mike@ctelcom.net wrote:
>   I've been installing hamm on a test partition a couple of times and have
> some questions now. First, my situation:
> 1. Nightly running:
> wget --mirror ftp://ftp.debian.org/pub/debian/hamm -a /root/wget.log -X \
>      "*-alpha*,*-m68k*,*-powerpc*,*-sparc*,*source*"

You know...I read this and thought ti was a great idea...I had been going and
ftp'ing in by hand and asking for binary-i386.tar.gz every time I wanted to
burn a CD..then have to unpack etc... PITA

I tried this with wget...it wont work. According tot ht elogs it logs on and
says that "hamm is not a plain file" and gives up...I have tried many
variations including typed exactly as you gave it.

>   a. Because I'm running i386, I felt that I wouldn't be needing any of
>      those other directories. Correct? I'll d/load from source when the need
>      arises

sounds like a plan

> 2. Installation
>   a. In order to get dselect to behave, I had to make these symlinks:
>     (I ran wget from /usr/local/debian)
>

>     Is that the correct way to handle things? Or is there a better method
>     until hamm goes stable?

does it work and install? then it is correct :)

>   c. Each time I install packages through dselect, it must go through every
>      file in the archive and "decide" whether to install it or not. Is there
>      a way I can tell dselect to only try to install the files I selected,
>      rather than stepping through the whole tree?

Well that is dselect :) thats how it works

-Steve