Re: Debian vs. W95 (was: Money where mouth...)

G'day,

> The main issue is that of "controllability and observability";
> with W95 there is a hierarchy of pre-defined GUI interfaces to pre-defined
> functionalities. Often the details of their functions, or constraints, are
> not well defined (publically).

Yeah, I know this feeling too... My main system is (was, before it died) a
WinNT 4 system, with a DEC tulip PCI 10/100 Ethernet card. For some
reason, ever so often, the network card doesn't work. I think it's
autosensing the hub wrong, but nothing seems to fix it. It would be so
much easier if there was a syslog to look into and see what error
messages, if any, were comming up. Nothing is recorded anyweher (not even
in the NT system logs).

So I agree... a nice GUI is the only way to sell an OS to the masses
(which is prolly what KDE and GNOME are about (well, okay, not *sell*, but
you know what I mean...) But to actually do anything, you need to be able
to look under the hood...

Cheers,

damon

--