Re: xserver and Matrox Mistique

On Wed, 10 Jun 1998, Shaleh wrote:

> I have a Mystique 220 4mb card.  I have no problems w/ XFree86_SVGA.
> Both bo and hamm/slink.  This is probably a misconfigured monitor
> settings problem.
>
> Michael Roark wrote:
> >
> > I have just finished an install (1.3.1) on a machine with a Matrox
> > Mistique. I followed the README on the cd (install the base, then the
> > server in seperate sessions), but when I startx the screen goes blank,
> > apparently after trying to contact the server. This is using the svga
> > server. Is there a better one to try? I haven't had any luck finding the
> > error output either. If I find that I will pass it along as well.

Sorry, but AFAIK, the XFree86 Version 3.3.1 has no built in support for the
Mystique card. There are three possible solutions for this problem.

1. Get the S.U.S.E X-server which has the the support for teh Mystique. This
   will be difficult, because S.U.S.E. has removed the files from there ftp
   server because the support is built in in XFree86 Version 3.3.2

2. Upgrade to hamm - hamm has the Version 3.3.2 as default

3. Download the new 3.3.2 XF86_SGVA server binary from xfree.org. Replace
   the original binary from the Debian package with this one. This is
   probably the easiest way to get your Mystique working (I've made it this
   way) but you should keep in mind, that you have done an "upgrade" without
   the dpkg tool, and this could lead to problems when doing the next
   upgrade.

Bye

Daniel

Daniel Gross                                     eMail: dg@bingo.baynet.de