Xemacs weirdness

I need to ask a question that isn't Debian specific: if inappropriate,
let me go ahead and apologize.

I still have SuSE installed on my laptop. Curiousity got the best of me
and I installed XEmacs this morning. I opened the prog and everything
works fine except this: whenever I mouse-over the function button bar it
beeps and tells me the following in the status bar at the bottom:

Can't instantiate image (probably cached): [xbm :mask-file
"usr/include/X11/bitmaps/left.xbm (or whatever file)

I checked and the bitmaps are actually there. Is there something I can
do to fix it or maybe prevent it from trying to load the images?

Thanks,

Michael