Diamond Stealth 3D 3000 problems

Hi,

I have some problems with X running on a bo system, with a Diamond
Stealth 3D 3000 series video card (4MB memory).

The PC used to run a bo system (1.3.1) and worked OK.  Then the hard
disk broke down, and problems with memory were also suspected.  The hard
disk was replaced and the memory too.  The machine now contains 64 MB
EDO ram instead of 32 MB before the revision.

I reinstalled debian 1.3.1, using the XF86_S3V server.  I am using xdm
to login.  Every so many times the machine hangs when terminating the
xsession.  The screen gets a single color, it seems to have a preference
for green or purple.  When this happens, it is impossible to login via
the network as well.  Time to find the reset button :(

Does this seem familiar to anyone?  Any options I could try?  I got the
3.3-4 version of the xserver by ftp, but it doesn't seem to make a
different.  Is there a bo version of the more recent
xserver-s3v_3.3.2.1-1.deb, which exists for hamm?

Any comments appreciated,

Eric Meijer

--
 E.L. Meijer (tgakem@chem.tue.nl)          | tel. office +31 40 2472189
 Eindhoven Univ. of Technology             | tel. lab.   +31 40 2475032