my slrn isn't using the system newsgroups.dsc file

(I'm using the lastest slink/hamm packages...)

My slrn isn't using the system newsgroups.dsc file... the file exists and
has the groups/descriptions as expected.  When I run slrn when .jnewsrc
and .newsrc don't exist, I get the following error:

$ slrn
slrn 0.9.5.2 (May 17 1998 11:27:48)
Unable to open /home/staff/paul/.jnewsrc.  I will try .newsrc.
slrn fatal error:

Unable to open /home/staff/paul/.newsrc.
If you want to create /home/staff/paul/.newsrc, add command line options:
   -f /home/staff/paul/.newsrc -create

... I've never had this error before.  It the past, I think slrn copied
the existing newsgroups.dsc.. now it doesn't.

Anyone experiancing this problem?

-Paul