support for NEC SuperScript 660plus?

My dad returend the HP LaserJet 3100 multifunction devices, and got a
NEC SuperScript 660plus.

Of course everything will be fine and dandy in Windows, but I
never boot into Windows anymore, nor do I want to. We have a little 3-node LAN
set up here on coax with ancient SMC 8013 cards that works for us so far. My
dad used to have a Canon BJC-4000, and I used to print to it using the bjc-600
magicfilter filter (slightly tweaked to 600 dpi, I think).

My main fear is that this is a part of that appalling new trend to manufacture
hardware that is incompatible with anything but Windows because the company
only releases industry non-standard Win95 drivers for it, and won't release
specs. Worse, it could be one of those printers that require CPUsage on the
Window$ client machine. Can anyone tell me if this is true?

If not, I was wondering... does anyone know what filter this new
device is best suited
for? Should I use the ghostscript laserjet driver, ljetplus, ljet3, 4, or
what?

Thanks for your help.

--
  kiyan@iname.com   A scientific truth does not triumph by convincing
  A. Kiyan Azarbar  its opponents and making them see the light, but

----- End forwarded message -----