Re: telnetting to a host behind ip_masq

On Wed, 10 Jun 1998, Stuart Krivis wrote:

 On Wed, 10 Jun 1998, Paul Miller wrote:

 > Is it possible to telnet directly to a host behind ip_masq? -- Something
 > like connecting to a different hostname at the same ip, and acting as a
 > different computer. -- Apache does this with virtual hosting.

 Unless I completely misunderstand ipmasq and NAT, no you cannot do this.

 routed sees an outgoing connection on port whatever and sees what MAC
 address or "fake" internal IP it's coming from. Then an incoming
 connection to the same port is obviously for that same internal machine.
 And you can setup various rules.

 I suppose you could setup a rule to direct all incoming telnet sessions to
 a particular internal host. Or all incoming telnet sessions from a
 particular IP address or block...

 But there is no way to directly telnet in. The outside world sees your
 network as having one (1) IP address. Any addresses used internally cannot
 be seen by the outside world.

--

Stuart Krivis    stuart@krivis.com