Re: pppd-2.3.5 pap authentification does not work

>     Does the "<auth chap 05>" mean that a chap authentification is required?

not necesserily, first the system asks for authentication using pap, but
as your system denies, the remote system offers chap auth.

I had the same symptom after upgrading to hamm. I solved it by putting
my username in double quotes " " or ´´ in /etc/ppp/provider and in the
pap-secrets file. This might help here too, because of the ":" in the
user name.

bye Stefan