More help, pls Re: simple interface/low-power users

On Tue, May 26, 1998 at 08:16:52PM -0700, Darren Benham wrote:

> On 27-May-98 G. Crimp wrote:
> >       I thought it would be great if I could set up their accounts so that
> > when they logged in a button bar greated them.  They could invoke xpat2,
> > logout, shutdown, or call up a graphic mail user agent (maybe xfmail or
> > netscape) just by clicking the appropriate button.  Here is where I need
> > ideas and guidance.
> If you use X (xdm) and one of the flavors of fvwm*, you can use FvwmButtons to
> give them a button bar on the screen when X starts up.

	Thanks to all who sent suggestions.  I haven't had much time to work
on this so its a little slow.  The route I have decided to try is as above.
I am using fvwm2 and xdm, so it is just a question of getting FvwmButtons
going ...

	That's why I am writing again.  I've been through man fvwm2, man
FvwmButtons, /etc/X11/fvwm2/system.fvwm2rc, /usr/doc/fvwm2/README.sysrc,
etc, etc, and I can't get a button box to come up.  I have created a ~/.fvwm2
directory in which I have two files: init-restart.hook and post.hook. Their
contents follow after which I'll decipher a little.

init-restart.hook:
#######################################
##
##  ~/.fvwm2/init-restart.hook
##
#######################################

##  Load any modules which should be started during fvwm
##  initialization.

#ModulePath /usr/lib/X11/fvwm:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fvwm2/

##  Make sure FvwmButtons and FvwmPager are always there.
#AddToFunc InitFunction			"I" Module FvwmButtons
#AddToFunc RestartFunction		"I" Module FvwmButtons
#Module FvwmButtons
#+	"I" Module /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fvwm2/FvwmButtons
+	"I" Exec FvwmButtons
+	"I" Module FvwmButtons

##  Make it titlebar-less, sticky, and give it an icon
Style "FvwmButtons" Icon toolbox.xpm, NoTitle, Sticky

##  Alright, let's configure this puppy.
*FvwmButtonsFore White
*FvwmButtonsBack DarkSlateGrey
*FvwmButtonsColumns 1
*FvwmButtonsGeometry -0-0
*FvwmButtonsFont -adobe-helvetica-bold-r-*-*-14-*
*FvwmButtons(Title Shutdown, Back LightRed, Fore Black, Action 'sudo shutdown -h now')
*FvwmButtons(Title Solitaire, Fore Black, Action 'xpat2 -geometry 700x450-0+0 &')

#Module FvwmButtons

------------ end of init-restart.hook ------------

post.hook:

##  Make it titlebar-less, sticky, and give it an icon
Style "FvwmButtons" Icon toolbox.xpm, NoTitle, Sticky

##  Alright, let's configure this puppy.
*FvwmButtonsFore White
*FvwmButtonsBack DarkSlateGrey
*FvwmButtonsColumns 1
*FvwmButtonsGeometry -0-0
*FvwmButtonsFont -adobe-helvetica-bold-r-*-*-14-*
*FvwmButtons(Title Shutdown, Back LightRed, Fore Black, Action 'sudo shutdown -h now')
*FvwmButtons(Title Solitaire, Fore Black, Action 'xpat2 -geometry 700x450-0+0 &')

#Module FvwmButtons

--------------- end of post.hook -------------

You can see a bit what I have tried from what is commented out.  My first
attempt was to put everything in init-restart.hook.  I tried a couple of
ways of adding the buttons to the init and restart functions.  I have tried
adding adding Module FvwmButtons on a separate line and in the post.hook
file.  After many fruitless experiments at little variations, I tried
putting the configuration stuff in the post.hook file as well.

	Nothing I have tried has given the slightest hint of success.  All
that starts is the pager and an xterm window.  ANYone know what the heck I
am doing wrong  (ie., how to make this right ) ????

	Thanks a million,

	Gerald Crimp