Help: green smail and hamm

Just got a new computer and decided to do a new (not an upgrade)
install of hamm(frozen) by using dselect with ftp.
So far I have gotten all the "Standard"
files and everything went smoothly with the following
exceptions:

1. the smail and lynx files on the ftp server were different
   than those in the Packages file. I installed these using dpkg
   later.

2. I had to run deselct several times to get tex to install.
   Have not fully tested it yet but seems OK.

current status:

1: dselect now runs without any packages showing dependancy problems
   or any errors.

2: I can connect to my isp, use lynx, ftp etc.
   I can ping localhost, talk between users (using vt's, it's
   a stand alone system).

MY PROBLEM:

I can't get (s)mail to work, even locally.  The smail error files
show me it can't even find "root".  I have tried almost every
possible option using smailconfig --force, but still no luck.
perhaps there are some packages required that I don't have yet?

What I would like my machine to do:

It is a stand alone machine with a modem connection to the internet.
It is used by four people that use local mail to pass messages to
each other. I have 1 mailbox with my ISP but several aliases for
that mailbox (one for each user).

I would like to have

 - local mail sent immediately
 - if connected have internet mail sent immediately
 - if offline queue the internet bound mesages and send them
   when anyone initiates an internet connection.
 - when an internet connection is made by anyone get any
   mail from my ISP's pop3 server and sort and deliver the mail
   locally according to their aliases (each user should only
   be able to read his own mail, obviously).
 - these users use several different mail programs (including
   netscape) to read their mail, probably not a problem?

additional questions:

  to which group should I add a user to allow them to initiate
  a ppp dialup connection (pon), or failing this what's the safest way
  to accomplish this.

  If a user terminates the ppp connection during the uploading
  or downloading of mail will it cause problems and if so how
  can I avoid them.

Lastly would like to thank the debian volunteers for their time
and effort, it is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks again,
Roy Pluschke