RE: MI/X question

Hi, John

MI/X is a free X server for Win32 system (i.e. Win 95 & NT). It allows
you to run X client apps from a Unix/Linux host and display the result
on Win32 system. As others pointed out, there are other similar products
available (e.g. Hummingbird).

I would assume you know something about X, in case you don't, here is a
brief explanation (although I myself only know a little about it): X
window system is divided into 2 parts: server and client. X server is
responsible for the display, while X client is the application that runs
on X server. Both X server and client can be on the same machine but not
necessarily. That means if you have a X server running on one machine,
you can connect to a remote Unix/Linux host to run applications from it
and display the result on the local machine (as if it runs from the
local machine). The local machine is sometimes referred to as thin
client (but not necessarily thin), that means you can use a cheaper
machine(s) (like the old 486) as X terminal(s) and run apps from a more
powerful pentium (II). MS has tried to produce a similar product called
Windows Terminal Server (aka Hydra), but that one is not as effecient as
X. There's an article comparing the two on NC world (or something like
that, can't remember the url), very interesting.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not an expert on Unix/Linux (nor I'm
a native English speaker :).

Hope this will help.

Dennis