Re: Re[4]: pop3 mail problem

In article <[🔎] 199806091553.IAA18629@mail.calweb.com>,
Steve Lamb <morpheus@calweb.com> wrote:
>On Tue, 9 Jun 1998 11:38:04 -0500 (EST), Michael Roark wrote:
>    It is just personal bias on my part against qpopper because of one
>glaring oversight they made.  In the non-standard (IIRC) pop send feature,
>which I do use from time to time, they properly accept an escaped \n.\n
>string.  EG, they take \n..\n and strip it to the proper \n.\n string.  The
>problem is, when they pass it on to the SMTP server they forget to escape it
>again so any message which contains a dot on a line by itself will end
>prematurely.

Have you bothered to file a bug report into the Debian Bug System
about this? Then it can be fixed you know ..

>    To me that is unforgivable and calls into question what other glaring
>errors are lurking just below the surface.

AFAIK there's only one error in qpopper and that is starting at
version 2.4 it has become non-free.. so Debian is stuck with 2.3
forever. Worse, cucipop is non-free too.. and so is qmail-pop3d.

I have fixed several bugs in qpopper already... unfortunately I will
not send them upstream because of the new non-freeness. But fixes will
continue to be integrated into the debian qpopper_2.3 package.

Mike.
--
 Miquel van Smoorenburg | Our vision is to speed up time,
    miquels@cistron.nl  |   eventually eliminating it.