Re: cd writers & linux

On 8 Jun 98 02:56:07 GMT, paul@3dillusion.com wrote:

>I'm interested in buying a internal/ide cd writer.  I'd like to be able to
>(in linux) write audio cds, direct read, speed isn't too important, and
>I'm not sure about worm vs rewritable.  What is the difference (other than
>being able to erase, rewite, etc.)?

The price, mostly.  Blanks for WORM drives can cost as little as a
tenth of the cost of a rewriteable, so it doesn't matter that much if
mistakes are made in writing.  The WORM drives themselves are also
slightly cheaper.

For writing audio CDs I would recommend a WORM.  That sort of data
doesn't really need the advantage of being able to remove and add new
files.  Plan the compilation, write it, enjoy - at less than 1UKP per
disc.

Rob Wilderspin
--
"But I need it to crash once every few days -
reboots are the only chance I get to sleep..."