Compiling my own kernels

Hi all!

I have just made new kernels for my 486 and laptop.
I now have a few questions to ask.

-=-=-

On my 486 I get the following at bootup:

pci_init: no BIOS32 detected

Does this mean I should turn off PCI support (CONFIG_PCI)?

-=-=-

Also on my 486 I get:

Sound initialization started
Sound initialization complete

whereas my laptop gives me this:

Sound initialization started
<Sound Blaster Pro (3.2)> at 0x220 irq 5 dma 0,5
Sound: IRQ-1 already in use
<Yamaha OPL3 FM> at 0x388
Sound initialization complete

My laptop has an SBPro compatible card and, in the BIOS, I have:
SB IO address: 220h
WSS IO address: 530h
Adlib IO address: 388h
Interrupt: IRQ 5
1st DMA channel: DMA 1
2nd DMA channel: DMA 0

I used the following in the .config:
CONFIG_SB=y
CONFIG_UART6850=y
CONFIG_AUDIO=y
CONFIG_MIDI=y
CONFIG_YM3812=y
SBC_BASE=220
SBC_IRQ=5
SBC_DMA=0
SB_DMA2=5
SB_MPU_BASE=330
SB_MPU_IRQ=-1
U6850_BASE=0
U6850_IRQ=-1
DSP_BUFFSIZE=65536

Sound does play, but the IRQ i use error worries me...

My 486 has a PnP SB16. According to Windows '95 (now deinstalled)
it was using:
IRQ: 05
I/O: 0220h-022Fh
I/O: 0330h-0331h
I/O: 0388h-038Bh
DMA: 01
DMA: 05

I used the following in .config:
CONFIG_SB=y
CONFIG_AUDIO=y
CONFIG_MIDI=y
CONFIG_YM3812=y
SBC_BASE=220
SBC_IRQ=5
SBC_DMA=1
SB_DMA2=5
SB_MPU_BASE=0
SB_MPU_IRQ=-1
DSP_BUFFSIZE=65536

Sound does not play (/dev/sequencer (or DSP or audio or whatever)
device not configured, IIRC)

I can e-mail the output of pnpdump to anyone who thinks they can
help, but would rather not post it here as it is large. I suspect
I need to change my isapnp.conf for this to work?

-=-=-

My 486 seems to insist on loading PCMCIA modules, despite
it not having any PCMCIA slots. How do I remove all PCMCIA related
stuff?

Also, now my new kernels appear to be working, how do I get rid of
the old kernels/modules/whatever?

Thanks for any help
Ian
--
Ian Lynagh - ian@lynagh.demon.co.uk
http://home.sol.no/~balchen/igloo/

LSD: virtual reality without the expensive hardware