Re: Linux is user friendly, I'm just not one of its friends

On Mon, 8 Jun 1998, The Darkling wrote:

: well here we go (bitch wine cry moan.. I gotta write this all out)
:
:
: ifconfig:
:
: Link encap:10Mbps Ethernet blah blah blah (hardware address stuff)
: inet addr:146.115.107.117 Bcast: 146.115.107.127 Mask: 255.255.255.240
: UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST

How about the FULL output so we can see what device we're on, whether
it's receiving packets, etc.

: and yes the Eathernet device is loaded (showsup in Dmesg)

Keen.  Could we see that output?

: also
:  route:
:
: Destination     Gateway    GenMask  Flags Metric Ret Use Iface
: 127.0.0.0                  *             250.0.0.0     4          0
: 0      0       lo

Well we're obviously not setting up the ethernet routes.  It wouldn't
hurt to make sure there are no extraneous characters present in
/etc/init.d/network

: 122 can be pinged and so can 127, so they are possibly what we want.

Huh?  This isn't clear at all. 122 what?

Generally the procedure for troubleshooting an interface is this:  You
set up the interface, and try to ping it.  (`ping 146.115.107.117') - if
this fails the interface itself is hosed.  Usually a driver problem.
Next we ping the default gateway - generally a router port or a host
that can do routing.  If you can't ping him you've got a network
problem.  Check the link lights, traffic counts in ifconfig, cabling,
network numbers ... if you're on the wrong subnet or have incorrect
entries for def gateway, mask, etc. then it'll never work.  Once you've
got the default gateway, you ensure the routes are in place and you're
good to go.  If you lose connectivity past the default gateway then your
network admins have a problem.

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet - 410 South Phillips Avenue - Sioux Falls, SD  57104