Re: directory tree and .deb's

G. Kaplan <gkaplan@castle.net> writes:

> Can I determine the destination directory of a package from the Packages
> file. My objective is to calculate the disk storage requirement for all
> (or a preselected subset of)  packages by destination directory. Where
> can I find this information without actually installing the package.

Hi,
     You can not get this information directly from the Packages
file.  You can look at the .deb file with zless and find a listing
similar to an ls -l listing of all files and directories the packages
installs.  Calculating the disk storage requirement for a set of
packages by this method would be quite tedious.

Bob
--

Sounds like a job for awk!  Of course dpkg -I will frequently give you an
"installed size" number.  But you can run your own count with something

#!/bin/sh
#Example dpkg -c with awk to count bytes of files in package.

dpkg -c $1 | awk '{ x += $3 } END { print "total bytes: " x }'

Granted this only counts the contents of the package name passed to it.
Perhaps someone might expand on this with a do loop [sorry, "for" loop] to
sum up a bunch of installed sizes.

--
dwiebold@etnsed.aus.etn.com . . . . . . .  My other computer runs Linux!

If A = B and B = C, then A = C, except where void or prohibited by law.
                -- Roy Santoro