Re: Building Kernel for Sound

Yo-

> What is the easiest way for me to take the kernel I am currently using (the
> default one) and add the soundblaster support. Or if there isn't an easy way, what
> order of steps should I use to make a kernel?
Do you have x-windows running?  If so, run 'make xconfig' in your kernel
source directory.  It is a GUI kernel config program and is much more
intuitive than menuconfig.  I will assume that you are referring to a SB16
PnP from here on.  You want to compile sound support as a module and then
add the correct IRQ, DMA, and addresses in the kernel config.  Then you
should compile with 'make dep; make clean; make zImage' when that is done
run 'make modules; make modules_install' and your kernel should be OK.
Copy it to /vmlinuz and reboot.  You may then need to use isapnptools to
set-up your sound card.  Compile your kernel and then get that package.

Hope that helps,

-Ian