IP masq was:PS/2 mouse device

On Thu, 4 Jun 1998, Nick Gillam wrote:

> Also, what Debian package is required for IP Masquerading.

I have a Debian System that does IP masquerading, here is how I did it.
First, echoing an earlier comment, consult the HOWTO on this subject.

I read somewhere that the masquerading code in kernel 2.0.33 is more
stable than in earlier kernels, so I got the source for 2.0.33 and
compiled it using the Debian kernel package.  You will need to compile in
support for firewalls, ect, per the HOWTO.

Here is my setup:  mapleloop connects to the outside world using a modem
and ppp.  It has a regular internet ip address assigned to that
connection.  mapleloop connects to a dual boot NT/Debian machine through
an ethernet card (eth0).  I have assigned ip=192.168.1.1 to that
connection.  I have assigned 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.3 to the ethernet
card in the dual boot machine.  It uses one address for NT, the other for
Debian.  I am allowed to assign these ip's because this part of the
network is private;  these ip's will never be seen by the internet.

I run bind on mapleloop for the benifit of the dual boot machine.  This is
available as a Debian package.

I added the following to /etc/init.d/network in mapleloop.  This is
probably the wrong place for it, but it works.  (Maybe someone more
knowledgeable can tell us where it *should* go.)

ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.1 up
route add -net 192.168.1.0 eth0
ipfwadm -F -a m -S 192.168.1.0/3 -D 0.0.0.0/0
insmod ip_masq_ftp

There is also ip_masq module for irc I think.  You will need this module
too if you use irc behind the firewall.

Before I installed the ip_masq_ftp module in the firewall machine, ftp
clients behind the firewall would sometimes drop connection and abort in
the middle of a download.  I understand you can also fix this problem by
configuring your clients to work in passive mode, but it is easier for me
to just use the module.

I configure the dual boot machine to point to 192.168.1.1 for both gateway
and DNS services for both operating systems.

Not exactly on the subject but related:  My only printer is connected to
mapleloop.  I connect to it from the Debian remote machine by configuring
lp as a remote printer in the printcap of the remote Debian machine.  The
remote NT machine obtains print services from mapleloop by using the LPR
method in printer setup.  See the NT help utility for details.

Hope this helps
Mike