pppd disconnects after authenticating

(I'm dialing from a win95 machine to my Linux box)

Immediately after I authenticate (using PAP), pppd disconnects me and
windows just says to try connecting again... I looked through all the logs
for any kind of error or warning, but i didn't find anything -- even with
debug on.  The last pppd line contains the correct login name and
password.  Why is pppd disconnecting me?

I'm using the lastest Debian hamm/slink packages (pppd 2.3.5)..  kernel
2.0.34pre16 with ppp support built in.

Anyone experiancing similar problems?  How can I resolve this issue?

Also, I don't know if this makes a difference with connecting to pppd, but
I have not configured any networking settings for pppd (other than the
options.ttyS1 and /etc/hosts files)... I only have 1 internet IP and I
want to run ip masquerading from ppp0 to eth1 .. (I already have ip masq
working from eth0 to eth1)...

The FAQs aren't very helpful.

Thanks
-Paul