Re: copyright howto (was: none)

Jens Ritter wrote,

> > Generally, and recognise that this is not legal advise, and that I'm probably
> > not licensed in your jurisdiction anywaay, explaining what the law *is* isn't
> > legal advise, and wouldn't (usually) be actionable if incorrect.  Explain how
> > to do a specific thing, and you're a lot closer.  Apply it to a particular
> > person's situation, and you're all the way on the hooks--the person you
> > explainded it too, for free, and the DA, for practicing without a license.
>
> (BTW what´s DA?)

oh :)  District Attorney

> Can you get around this hanging sword above ones head, by expressing ones
> opinion?

Legal advise is fundamentally an opinion about a particular situation, so no
:) However, the usual way of doing this is instead of talking about hte actual
facts, to propose a hypothetical situation and discuss the legal principals
which would govern it.

> You can at least get around to be sued because of offence (or insult),
> by expressing your opinion:
> If you say "This boy is an a**hole!", you sure commit an offence.
> If you say "I think he behaves like an a**hole!", you express your
> opinion and get around.

> But this sure depends on good wording and might have to stand in
> court.

Once it stands in court and wins, you've already lost--defending these is
expensive even when you win, and you don't get attorney's fees in most US
jurisdictions.

> I think it´s at least worth while to collect some (meta-)information
> in a copyright howto.

Quite useful to have.  But a landmine for those who write it :(

rick, esq.

--
These opinions will not be those of ISU until it pays my retainer.