Re: cgi-bin scripts for ppp dial-up

On Fri, Jun 05, 1998 at 10:37:09AM +0100, Edward Betts wrote:
> hi, I wonder whether any body can help. i am trying to get my system
(halve
> bo, halve hamm) to dial-up the internet. yes it works, but only by
running
> pon as root. i want to have a cgi-script so that all my users on win95
boxes
> can dial-up (this box does ip masq). how?

When I installed ppp from the .deb file pppd was setuid root by default.  I
had to add read permission for group (dip) to ppp.chatscript and
ppp.options_out so user accounts (members of group dip) could start pon.  I
have been told that I could setup diald to autorun pon whenever I start
netscape (or any other program requesting internet access) and that this
should work with ip masq when a client on a windows box networked to the
linux machine does the same.  I havn't tried this yet, but I will as soon
as I get the eithernet card installed in my windows machine and hook the
two together.