Re: Stupid Stuff

On Thu, 04 Jun 1998 20:33:20 -0400, Diego Martinez wrote:

>Hello, I know that this might sound silly, but I'm a long-time Microsoft
>Windows/MS-DOS user who wants to switch from Windows 95 to Linux; and I
>would like to know which files do I need to port Linux into my system;
>because I've been wrestling with the FTP for over 10 hours and I still
>didn't get any results.  Thank you in advance for your help!

    This is just a standard reply and not personal to you.  It is the same
advice I give about 10-15 people a day when I am opping on the #linux channel
on dal.net.

    If you have no experience with Linux before, do *NOT* attempt an FTP
install.  Because it is a new OS and you're not sure on what is what.  Trying
to FTP on top of that just just compounding the problem.  Buy a CD.
Everything is there that you need that way you only have to worry about
installing and not also what, exactly, to download.

     Personally, I do FTP installs now.  However, I have two years experience
with Linux under my belt across 4 versions of Slackware, 1 of Red Hat, 1 of
Stampede and 1 of Debian.  Even with all of that I am still leery of doing an
FTP install and have a trusted Slackware CD, a bakup Linux machine and my
Windows machine to fall back on in case I screw up.

--
             Steve C. Lamb             | Opinions expressed by me are not my
    http://www.calweb.com/~morpheus    | employer's.  They hired me for my