[no subject]

>> _4._ Big disclaimer, as we are not lawyers. :-)

>This is of course good...and probably necissary (I have often wondered
>if such disclaimers are really needed or just the result of peoples misguided
>paranoia)

It's not *enough* of a disclaimer.  It should go on to include that "this is
not legal advise".  Offer legal advise, and you're held to the standard of a
lawyer.  That you did it for free is not any type of defense.

While I understand tand applaud the ideas and goals, being a lawyer myself,
there's no way I'll touch such a project--it's a liablity problem waiting to
happen.

Generally, and recognise that this is not legal advise, and that I'm probably
not licensed in your jurisdiction anywaay, explaining what the law *is* isn't
legal advise, and wouldn't (usually) be actionable if incorrect.  Explain how
to do a specific thing, and you're a lot closer.  Apply it to a particular
person's situation, and you're all the way on the hooks--the person you
explainded it too, for free, and the DA, for practicing without a license.

This is reall a job that needs a lawyer with a *big* E&O (malpractice) policy.
 Not just for the possibility of mistakes, but because it is expensive to be
sued when write.

I'm not trying to rain on the parade, but a few years of practice has made me
rather cautious . . .

rick, esq.

--
These opinions will not be those of ISU until it pays my retainer.