Re: nslookup prompt...

On Wed, 3 Jun 1998, Steve Mayer wrote:

smayer> That's funny.  I don't have a problem issuing nslookup home.netscape.com
smayer> on my latest hamm machine.
smayer>
smayer> On the other hand, on an up to date bo machine, I get the same problem
smayer> you list (the dropping to the nslookup prompt).  Upon further
smayer> investigation, nslookup is a symlink to nslookup.sh which seems to be a
smayer> wrapper to the host program and not a true binary nslookup.
smayer>
smayer> Sorry if I haven't really been following the thread, but could this be
smayer> part of the problem?
smayer>
smayer> Steve Mayer
smayer> smayer@rtd.com
smayer>
smayer>
smayer>
smayer> Jens B. Jorgensen wrote:
smayer> >
smayer> > Sure I mean broken because the man page says you can do 'nslookup home.netscape.com'
smayer> > but in fact you can't. You have to run 'nslookup' and at the '>' prompt type your
smayer> > query. Annoying, isn't it? (It's been this way as long as I can remember but no, I
smayer> > haven't logged a bug report.)
smayer> >
smayer> > Jay Barbee wrote:
smayer> >
smayer> > > > Yeah, the nslookup (or its manpage) is broken. You always have to go into
smayer> > > > interactive mode. Yuck. Anyway you should try dig, it's fancier. I think
smayer> > > > it comes in dns-utils.
smayer> > >
smayer> > > Hummm, I will try dig, no problem... but could you explain what you mean by
smayer> > > "broken".  Is it some problem with they way I have created the DNS tables?  Do
smayer> > > you suggest in uninstall DNSUTILS and reinstall the package?  Seems to be
smayer> > > an environment problem, not a blip in the nslookup binary itself?  Just a thought.
smayer> >
smayer> > --
smayer> > Jens B. Jorgensen
smayer> > jjorgens@bdsinc.com
smayer> >
smayer> > --

It IS working on my machine with Slack linux 2.0.27
Neither is it a symlink
Its a binary

Has this been changed in newer versions?
Or is it a non-Slackware issue?

Oommen