Re: Red Hat 5.1

On 3 Jun 98 17:59:02 GMT, Peter S Galbraith) wrote:

>So Red Hat 5.1 (their second libc6 version) is out before Debian 2.0...
>Not that there's a competition between Debian and Red Hat.  Just a
>comment...
>
>(Not that *I'm* doing anything to further Debian progress, so I cannot
>complain!  I just wonder if that bugs developers a little)

Please note that 5.1 is only out because there were serious security
problems with 5.0, as well as other quality-control problems in the
Red Hat distribution.  So, if they had tested the first version
properly instead of grabbing for dollars, there wouldn't have been a
second.

The Debian team have a more responsible attitude, and are waiting
until they are much more sure of the product before releasing it.  If
you don't want to wait, you can always download the "deep freeze"
version, and update any changes after the release date.  I'd rather
have a stable, secure version later than a buggy, insecure version a
few weeks earlier.

Rob Wilderspin
--
"But I need it to crash once every few days -
reboots are the only chance I get to sleep..."