Re: Hard drive compatibility with Linux

On Wed, 3 Jun 1998, Jacob E Goodman wrote:
> I just placed an order for a Dell Dimension XPS R400MHz system, which
> includes a 16.8GB EIDE Ultra ATA hard drive, factory installed.
>
> Will I be able to use Linux on this system, or is the disk too large?
> I plan to partition the disk and install both Linux and Windows.

No problem. The problems with large disks came from old BIOS chips, not
Linux, IIRC. This system won't have an old BIOS, I imagine. ;-)

You might have weirdness with the Ultra ATA, depending on what hardware
they use. But if you do, you should be able to run with it disabled, or
patch the kernel to use Ultra. My box works fine though, with no special
changes and a UDMA disk.

FWIW I have often heard people say Dell machines work well with Linux.
They usually don't have the lame WinHardware found on some brands.

Havoc Pennington ==== http://pobox.com/~hp