RE: NT and Linux

Hi, King, my comments follow your questions, below.

I hope this helps.

Bob

> King Lee asks:
>
> Thanks Bob McGowan  for your very informative reply.  I gather that
>    1. Software raid is OK if problem is I-O bound, i.e.,
> 	CPU would normally be idle waiting for I-O.

I would agree with this analysis.  If the CPU is doing "nothing", it
might as well be calculating parity for RAID.  :-)

>    2. If we have multiple subsystems, we increase the
>   	the I-O bandwidth, and now the CPU may not
> 	be keep up with the I-O.  In general, increasing
> 	I-O turns I-O bound problem into CPU bound program.

I would also expect this to be true, though I have no evidence to
support the idea.

>    3. Software raid 5 may be OK for workload with lots of
> 	reads, but run into trouble if workload does lots
> 	of writes.

Not necessarily.  Remember, when reading the data, you still have to
read a stripe from all the disks and verify the parity, so there is
still some overhead.  Also, if there are lots of writes, there may
be a higher chance of ordering the I/O requests to take advantage of
writing a full set of stripes, reducing the frequency of the
read/modify/write cycle, which will reduce I/O load.

>    4. Software raid 5 is more efficient for large files.

Generally, the answer to this is:  it depends ;-)  Are you talking
reads and/or writes.  What combination?  How random?  Etc.

Also, this question (and the third, to some extent) are getting away
from the original question comparing SW and HW based RAID technnology
and are getting into the more specific issues of RAID efficiencies,
which DO NOT depend on whether the RAID is SW or HW.  Generally, in
RAID5, writes will always be more expensive than a regular disk.  If
you have a read/modify/parity calcualtion/write scenario, it is worse,
but even the data collection/parity calculation/write sequence takes
more time than a pure write.  The efficiency of RAID5 is in its read
characteristics, for random access.  Large numbers of random read
requests will distribute across multiple spindles, improving I/O due
to redcution of seek delays and an overall reduction of read requests
PER SPINDLE.  There will also be less wait time for unrelated requests.
This implies that the more disks you can put in the array,
the better the performance.  And this may be where SW RAID could be
better than HW RAID, since SW based arrays can span multiple
controllers.
The controllers also do not need to be the same interface type either.
You can mix IDE, SCSI, etc.  HW RAID systems generally have some limits
on the number of disks you can have, based on the number of internal
buses and bus width (ie a two internal narrow SCSI channel system would
be limited to a maximum of 14 hard disks).

If you are concerned about write performance more than read performance,
you might want to consider using a mirror set of some sort (RAID1 and
RAID6 [AKA RAID10]).  Since there is no parity calculation, write
performance is very close to a standard disk's.  The disadvanage is
that 50% of the capacity is lost.