libc5 applications (Netscape, StarOffice, WordPerfect) segfault

It seems that if I have /usr/X11R6/lib in my $LD_LIBRARY_PATH,
libc5 applications such as Netscape, StarOffice 4.0 and WordPerfect
causes segmentation fault right away.

I then tried the glibc2 (libc6) version of Netscape 4.05, and this
did not happen.

Also, if I 'unsetenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH' (or remove /usr/X11R6/lib from
it) before starting these applications, they work fine.

I put on an strace, and it seems that the segfault happens after a
call to "getpid()".   This call does not happen if I do not include
/usr/X11R6/lib in LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

-tor